You may be thinking, “Remodel my bathroom for under $250, how can that be possible?” Okay, so it’s not a complete remodel but with a few basic DIY (Do It Yourself) skills and a little bit of money you can give that tired old bathroom a face lift without having to dip into the kid’s college fund. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how a few simple changes can make a huge difference.
Here are 6 simple things you can do give your bathroom a fresh new look. (Links to products are are at the end of this article)
- A new coat of paint is one of the easiest but most dramatic ways to change the look of a room. You can find some helpful painting tips here: http://www.acehardware.com/paintingtips/index.jsp
- Install a new faucet – for as little at $30 you can buy a new bathroom sink faucet and with some basic tools and skills you can install it yourself. If you don’t know how to install a new faucet you can learn how to do it in Workshop for Women’s “Do You Hear Water” (Plumbing 101)
- Replace your toilet seat – a new toilet seat is less than $20 and takes less than 20 minutes to install. This is a simple change that can make a lot of difference. The toilet seat is attached to the bowl with 2 screws.
- Replace those old polished brass pulls (handles) with an updated look. If your cabinetry doesn’t have any pulls why not install some? You can buy new cabinet pulls for as little as $1.50 each. If you’re installing new pulls you’ll want to spend a few extra $$ to buy an installation template. This handy little gadget will help you get everything lined up perfectly.
- Replace your old towel bar and toilet paper holder and add a towel ring or two. Need some advice on how to get that towel rack to stay in place and not pull out of the wall? Learn all you need to know about hanging things on your walls and ceilings in Workshop for Women’s “My Screws are Loose” class.
- A new shower curtain, bath mat and accessories will add the finishing touches.
Workshop for Women http://www.workshopforwomen.com/
Ace Alameda Station http://www.acealamedastation.com/
Learn to install a faucet – Do You Hear Water? (Plumbing 101)
Learn to hang a towel bar – My Screws are Loose (Hanging Things on Walls & Ceilings)
Ceiling and Wall Paint – Paint and Painting Tips– $50
New toilet seat at Ace Hardware – $ 20
New sink faucet at Ace Hardware – $ 30
New towel bar at Ace Hardware – $ 25