I have a friend who is a general contractor, remodeler and who also owns investment properties. I sold her a home this summer that she remodeled and is now renting out. Just last week the renters called and said the basement was flooded. The pressure relief valve (TPR valve) on the water heater failed and water poured out of the heater for quit a while before the renters discovered the problem. What a mess. She had just installed all new carpeting and pad in the basement and now has to replace the pad at a significant expense.
We had lunch yesterday and were talking about water alarms and wondering why she didn’t have one in place at her rental and also why neither of us have one in our home. It just goes to show you that even people with years of experience don’t always do the obvious thing.
Now we both have it on our immediate ‘to do’ list to stop by a hardware store and for as little as $12 pick up a water detector to put near our water heaters. I suggest each of you do the same!
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
I don’t think I can stress enough how important it is for you to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home. If you have any gas or wood fired appliances in your home, and you don’t currently have carbon monoxide detectors, I suggest you get into your car, right now, and go buy them. In Colorado it’s the LAW. Colorado Carbon Monoxide Law
First Alert Carbon Monoxide Detector – Battery Operated ($19.99)
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says:
“Unintentional CO exposure accounts for an estimated 15,000 emergency department visits and 500 unintentional deaths in the United States each year”
Please don’t let you or someone in your family be one of these statistics. I’ve talked about this many times before and have even written several blog posts related to this issue which are linked below:
Kitchen Fire Extinguisher
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2010, cooking was involved in an estimated 156,400 home structure fires that were reported to U.S. fire departments. These fires caused 420 deaths, 5,310 injuries and $993 million in direct property damage. Cooking caused 44% of reported home fires, 16% of home fire deaths, 40% of home fire injuries, and 15% of the direct property damage in 2010.
Kidde Kitchen 711A Fire Extinguisher ($19.97)
For just over $50 you can protect your family and your home from potential disasters. Please consider purchasing these items if you currently do not have them in your home.