Top 10 Home Maintenance Tips
- Know the location of all shut-offs and test them to be sure they work. Water main, sink & toilet, gas appliances, water heater, main electrical panel.
- Your toilet is not a trash can. Never flush anything down the toilet except toilet paper! That includes products labeled “flushable.”
- Treat and clean your drains once a month to prevent clogs and avoid needing to use harsh chemicals.
- Change Your Furnace Filter – Buy cheap change often. The purpose of your furnace filter is to protect the mechanical parts of your furnace. It is not intended to clean your indoor air.
- Inspect caulking and grout around tubs, showers and sinks replace as necessary.
- Test your GFCI’s every month. These are typically located in bathrooms and kitchens.
- Clean and repair your gutters and downspouts gutters and downspouts are intended to gather the water running off of the roof and direct it to the downspouts.
- Safety First! Check for damage to steps, railings, concrete paths and repair promptly.
- Make sure you have the basic tools in your tool box: Safety glasses, hammer, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, utility knife, caulk gun, voltage tester, power drill, drill bits, putty knife.
- Have reliable contractors chosen before an emergency arises and have their contact information readily available.
Download a copy of these tips