Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as necessary, usually one on each level of the home near any sleeping areas.
- Correct unsafe stairways and landings. (Treads uneven, too narrow, sloped, loose; risers irregular or too high; landings missing, poorly lit or too small; railings missing, loose, too low, etc.).
- Have all chimneys and fireplaces inspected and serviced before operating.
- Check all gutters and downspouts. Be sure downspouts are emptying away from your foundation. Replace or repair any damaged areas. Be sure all gutters and downspouts are free of debris such as leaves, pine needles, dirt, etc.
- If you have a sump pump check it for proper function.
- Check furnace filters, humidifier filters and electronic air cleaners (when in use). Replace or clean as needed
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure proper function. Replace the batteries in all units.
- Shut down sprinkler systems.
- Clean Gutters
- Check your roof for damage. Repair damaged shingles and any visible cracks around vents, skylights, chimneys, etc.
- If you are in a climate where freezing occurs, shut off outdoor water faucets.
- Swamp coolers require seasonal start up and shut down to prevent freezing and broken lines.
Download a copy of this checklist