We took yesterday off from working on our gazebo because I had a video shoot and then an inspection plus we had a lot of chores to do that we have been neglecting. My taskmaster husband reluctantly let me meet a friend for coffee this morning before we got started.
We are laying down the decking now. I’m not sure if I mentioned in an earlier post that we are using Trex brand products for the decking and railings and we got some post covers for the 4 x 4 support posts from the same material. It was important to me that this be as maintenance free as possible. However we did run into a few issues with using this on this project.
- Since this is an octagon we are decking in triangular sections and had to put screws close to ends that had been cut. Our first screw, even with pre-drilling split the end. We had to regroup and install all the screws at an angle. If you were using this on a square deck 95% of your screws would not be near a cut end so this wouldn’t be a problem.
- It is twice as expensive as redwood.
- It is gumming up the saw blade so I’m going to need to figure out a way to clean it.
It started to rain after we got 2 sections done so we put everything away then it stopped so we got everything back out again and managed to get 2 more sections done before we got rained out for good. The second storm came up so quickly we only had time to through a tarp over the saw.
We won’t be able to get back at it until Sunday. I’m hoping my next post will be deck complete and on to head rails and lattice sections.
Have a wonderful weekend.